Here's what we write a check for: Updated 4/24/17
- Bikes (mountain bikes in high demand)
- Tents (2-3 person backpacking tents in high demand)
- Backpacks (40-65L in high demand)
- Sleeping Pads
- Mummy sleeping bags
- Backpacking stoves (Whisperlite, Pocket Rocket, or JetBoil styles)
- Hitch or trunk mount bike racks
- Waterproof high, mid or low hikers
- Trail runners
- Chacos and Keen Sandals
- Rain Jackets and Rain Pants
- Down or synthetic packable 'sweater' jackets (Patagonia Nano Puff)
Here's what we give in-store-credit for:
- Fleece, nylon pants, baselayers and vests
- Shorts and short sleeved shirts
- Camping accessories
- Bike parts
- Gaitors and trekking poles
- Cots, bivys, rectangle sleeping bags
- Camp stoves and lanterns
- Car rack accessories: bike and kayak racks
Here's what we are not accepting:
- Cotton and non-technical clothing
- Kids clothing
- Hats, Gloves, Mittens
- Casual footwear
- School/Laptop backpacks
- Rollerblades and rollerskates
- Ice skates
- Cross country ski related equipment
- Snowboard related equipment
- Downhill ski related equipment
- Fly rods and reels
- Waders and wading boots
- Kayak paddles, splash tops, dry tops
- Car rack pieces: towers, bars, and fairings
- Used knives and multitools
- Electronics: gps, watches, bike computers
- Team sports gear
- Exercise equipment
How To Sell Your Used Outdoor Gear To Switchback
- Find your unused gear
- Shake it out, empty pockets, and make sure its clean
- If you live in the Grand Rapids Metro area, skip to the FAQ and then grab your gear and come see us. If you live in a land far away, continue with the next bullet point.
- Write a note with your name, address, e-mail, and phone number
- Pack it all up and ship it to:
Switchback Gear Exchange
2166 Plainfield NE
Grand Rapids, MI 49505
- Your gear is delivered to us
- Your gear is carefully inspected
- We will contact you to let you know what we'll offer you for it
- If you are unsure you want to sell it and would like to discuss the value of the gear call or email us first (616-259-9609, firstname.lastname@example.org)
- If you agree to the value we send you money via check or Paypal
- If you don't agree, we'll return your gear
- Everyone is happy.
Equipment Items and Condition Criteria
All items must be clean and in proper working order. By law, all clothing items must be washed prior to sending and should be free of pet hair, smoke smell or tree bits. All gear items should be free of dust, dirt, grease, and should be dry. Items received that are dirty or do not meet our quality standards may receive a reduced purchase price or not be purchased at all.
Packing and Shipping Your Items
Find a box, put your stuff in it, affix a label to the box, and drop the box at the nearest UPS shipping facility. To prevent loss or damage in transit, please properly pack your items. Use a good box, plenty of packing material (bubble wrap, newspapers, etc.), and plenty of tape. For further assistance, please refer to UPS packaging guidelines.
Getting Paid For Your gear
Once your gear arrives at Switchback, we will carefully inspect it to be sure it meets our quality standards. If everything is in order, we'll accept your items and pay you via PayPal or the old fashioned way, with a check through snail mail.
We reserve the right to not purchase items that do not meet our quality standards. Should this happen, you will have the option to have the item returned (you pay the shipping costs) or we will keep the item without a purchase offer. If you have any doubts, please contact us before you make your shipment.
Give Gear Program
If you never want to see your gear again and you aspire to change the world, donate your gear and we’ll sell it on behalf of a local non-profit. If you choose to go this route, please include a note in your box or affixed to a specific item that it is for a Give Gear Donation.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you don't find the answers you're looking for here, please don't hesitate to contact us.
How long does it take to get paid my items?
If you come to the shop, you get paid on the spot (some exceptions apply).
Once your items have been shipped, it takes about 5-7 business days for delivery to our store. Your trade-in will be processed as soon as possible after delivery. You can expect a PayPal payment within 7-10 days after shipment, and a snail-mail check will take a couple of days longer depending on your location.
How do you determine the purchase offer?
We have designed a Cash-ulater to give you an idea of what we can pay for your gear. These numbers are based on data we've collected over the years, taking into account: condition, sale price in the shop, and shipping fees. Click HERE to check it out.
If it still has tags, isn't it "new"?
Nope. These days, there are so many different ways and places to buy things (online, discounted, closeout, discontinued, etc.) that tags no longer equate to full retail value. Therefore, even with tags, items are priced as "used", although the price will be higher than an item without tags.
Can I make more money selling on eBay or Craigslist?
Most likely. The beauty of selling to Switchback is the simplicity of the transaction. Selling on eBay or Craigslist consumes a large amount of time on your part to list your item, arrange meetings, and deal with shipping. In the end, you generally make more money, but must invest significantly more time. Our exchange program is a quick and easy way to get rid of your gear and make some cash.
Is selling to Switchback the right option for me?
If you have a plastic tote full of stuff and don't feel like bothering to sell each item individually, we can get you cash quickly and easily. If you have one expensive item, and are feeling particular about how much money you are entitled to for it, then we might not be your best option. Likewise, if you want to make more money on your item because it has collector's or antique value, we recommend you sell elsewhere.