The Jordan River Pathway
Quick Facts: 20 miles, 3 days (April 26-28), $275, Ages 18+
Come explore a lesser known treasure of Michigan with the Switchback Expedition crew! This trip will be an extended weekend in which our guides will show you some of the backcountry basics.
Have you ever wondered how to cook a gourmet meal in the backcountry? Or maybe you want to start backpacking but don’t know where to start. Wherever you are in your outdoor journey, this trip will be a great addition to your spring. Switchback expeditions is excited to show you how you can find a healthy challenge, make new friends, disconnect from your average weekly routine, and even find places to enjoy solitude right in our backyard.
Sleep under the stars, and walk through the hilly woods along the Jordan river. Our crew will make the two hour drive on Friday afternoon and stay in a walk in campground for a night of food and fun lessons on gear, outdoor ethics, and backcountry basics. On Saturday we will hike approximately 9 miles, with stops for relaxation, before getting to our campsite for the night. On Sunday we will finish the loop with about another 9 miles of trail before heading into Manistee to celebrate our victorious hike.
Your trip package includes all gear, transportation, and food. Along with the expertise of two trained guides!
(Some small changes may occur depending on weather and trail conditions)
- Day one-Friday night:
- Leave gr at 2pm
- Pinney bridge Campground by 4pm
- Education time, dinner, and a fire (weather dependent)
- Day Two-Saturday
- Hike. approx 9 miles.
- Day three-Sunday
- Approx. 9 mile hike out.
- Drive to Manistee to go out for dinner at North Channel Brewing Company.
- We will be back in GR by approximately 7 pm.
- How difficult will this be?
- Can you run a 5k with some preparation? If so you can do this. Our team will walk no more than 2 hours at a time, carrying backpacks will roughly 25-30 pounds each.
- What do I need to bring?
- Our package includes almost everything you will need. However, you are responsible for your clothing, footwear, toiletries, and some other optional equipment. Light hiking shoes, running shoes, or boots will all work. Just be sure you know that they are comfortable to walk in for a whole day!
- If I have never been backpacking, can I do this trip?
- Absolutely! In fact, we highly encourage first time backpackers to join us. Our guides are ready to show you everything you need to know. All we require is that you come ready to learn and ready to have fun.
- Ok, I want to come. What are my next steps?
- Follow the link on this page to pre-register. We will contact you to get things set up! Feel free to follow this link even if you just need more information before making your choice. In the meantime, pick some comfortable shoes and start going for walks!
- Here's that link again.